Thursday 30 April 2015

an observation about temperature

Back in the mid 80's I went to the antarctic for 7 weeks or so.  One of the things I remember from that trip was how it was bitterly cold when we arrived, but after a time we acclimatised to the point that on a still day, we were playing volley ball outside on the helicopter landing pad area in shorts and tee shirts.

It rained here on Sunday.  A fantastic tropical electrical storm, and then the wind came up and it was grey and raining most of the afternoon.  An observation that a number of us made when we ere talking about it the next day was how cool it made the afternoon and night.  It dropped the temperature in the afternoon to around 24 degrees.  Positively refreshing.

What that tells me is that my body, and mind, is adjusting to the heat that it experiences here in Tuvalu (34 deg today and a bit hot but not uncomfortable). But what I have also observed is that it must be on the edge of it's temperature tolerance.  Not in a way that I am on the edge of collapse of course, but on the edge of the body not having to react to cool itself.

I have noticed, as have many of the other palangi's I have talked with, that the very slightest exertion will result in a flooding sweat.  Even to the point of after a meal in the middle of the day, you start to sweat.  I am assuming that it is because the body is processing the food and so expending energy.  At home or in colder climates, I have not been aware of what my body must be doing as and after I eat.  

Here, i have taken the time to observe, and be aware.  It is nice to be aware of the normally hidden things in me

No comments:

Post a Comment