Wednesday 22 April 2015

who needs tide charts?

I have never really thought about what is below me when I am stand on the ground. Sure when I was a kid digging the garden you sometimes came across bits and pieces the builders kindly buried under the topsoil for kids to discover and imagine it was buried treasure. Or when you dug in the sand at hot water beach you could make your very own private hot pool.  But I have never really thought about how solid the ground is.  

I guess I have always just taken for granted that it is all either solid rock or dirt under me as I walk along in my daily life.  Turns out that this assumption was slightly incorrect.  

I had been told before I came to Tuvalu that there are times an places where water (also known as the pacific ocean) bubbles up through the land.  Turns out one such area is outside the power station where I go to work each day.  and it's not really every now and then, but going from the past few days, most high tides.  I assume it happens every tide, it's just how much that varies depending on the tidal height.

  
 entrance to the power station note the ground looks like ground
(trees in background are on the edge of the island)


 what I came across when I was leaving work one evening
"Tide's in"

sea water bubbling up


No comments:

Post a Comment